- 1 What does a Motherboard do – Motherboard parts and functions with picture
- 2 Parts of a Motherboard
- 2.1 Motherboard’s History – Motherboard Backplane
- 2.2 Size & Standard of Motherboard – Types of Motherboard
A computer is the most evolving machine in the 21st century. But those who are trying to know about the motherboard computer after opening its circuits. There is a green board that is connected with every component of the computer.
Few years back when I was very naive in the computer world , then I had no knowledge about it. But now I have the knowledge to explain you the various parts that resides in the motherboard computer.
What does a Motherboard do – Motherboard parts and functions with picture
Motherboard is a Chip that holds many circuits & components of a computer. This post will help you to know how a motherboard functions with all other components to work for a computer.
Motherboard is the most essential part of a computer. The main function of this part is to hold crucial parts of a computer which includes CPU , Memory Units & Input Output Devices.
The base of a motherboard is a very firm sheet on semi conductor & some rigid plastic. Thin layers of copper or aluminium foil are printed on the sheet. The traces are narrow & forms the circuit between various components. There are many small circuits in a motherboard.
What is a Motherboard? – Motherboard Components and their functions
Motherboard is a basic board , technically called a printed circuit board. It is used to connect the different parts of Computer like CPU, Memory , Printer , Mouse. Those who have seen the motherboard connected to the computer that there are multiple lines that are going in the different direction. These are connected to the different components of computer to communicate between the CPU & devices. Communication is done through the electrical signals. These signals are as same as the current flowing in the normal circuit but less in voltage.
Parts of a Motherboard
If you open a computer & see the motherboard , then you can see the motherboard & the components connected to it. The motherboard are different depending on the model & design of a computer.
You don’t need to be an expert, but you should know about the basic of Motherboard. If you will know about some of the parts of a motherboard , then it will be easy to fix your PC.
- CPU Socket :- A CPU Socket is soldered in the socket. A CPU generates a lot of heat , for this heat sinks & mounting points for fans are fixed in a CPU socket.
- Power Connector :- It is connected to the CPU & other components to distribute power.
- DRAM Chips :- There is a slot for system’s main memory in the form of DRAM chips.
- NorthBridge :- A chip which acts as an interface between CPU , Main Memory & other components.
- The second chip controls I/O functions. It is connected to the Northbridge. It is named as Southbridge. Together Northbridge and Southbridge combined are called as the chipset.
- The connectors which creates a physical interface between I/O devices & motherboard.
- SATA & IDE :- Slots to connect multiple hard disks. These are called Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) and Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA).
- BIOS Chip :- A ROM chip which contains firmware & boot progra, for the computer.
- AGP & PCI Slots :- To connect a graphic card. The full form of AGP & PCI is Accelerated Graphics Port and Peripheral Component Interconnect Express.
Motherboard Diagram Images with label
Motherboard’s History – Motherboard Backplane
History of motherboard is as old as microprocessor’s. Microprocessors are like the one which is in your computer like Core I5. Before the invention of motherboard, the computer were made made through multiple PCB’s. These PCB are connected with a back-plane. Back-plane arrange all the other connectors in the parallel way. All the components are connected to the computer via back-plane.
After some years of improvement in the technologies, those back-planes were gone & all the components are connected into a single PCB. This PCB is named as motherboard.
Buy You Favourite Motherboard From here
Single Chip Motherboard
After 1980’s Apple & IBM has released the documentation & blueprint of Motherboard. The mass production of Motherboard was started which help the Apple & IBM more popular among the common people. Motherboard has become more complex than before. Thereafter single chip motherboard was developed which supported mouse & keyboard too.
After the millennium 2000 came the advent of clock came & the component like audio, video & network adapters were also embedded in the same chip. The motherboard which comes now in the market have zero option to customize it. The size of motherboard has decreased now & will shrink more in the later years.
Size & Standard of Motherboard – Types of Motherboard
Motherboard Form Factor
Size & shape of motherboard computer is termed in to a single word that is form factor. Most of all motherboard size & shape are same. Some of them differ in the change of brand to brand.
Some of the popular brands are
- ATX by Intex.
- DTX by AMD.
One more popular form factor that are used by Apple & Intel NUC is MiniPC. These computers are mainly used for word processing , Internet access & video processing.
Components of a Motherboard – Motherboard Components and their functions
- Memory Slots
- Clock Generator
- Expansion Card Slots
- Storage Connector
- Power Connector
- Operating Temperature
Please drop a comment if you liked us. Like us on Facebook if you like more information like this or Subscribe us for more updates. Thank You.