Hello my friends who read this blog from a while , others who are new here can also check the other posts from this small tech blog. I have heard so many things about Kali Linux. Many of us who want to start hacking must have heard about this Linux Distro.
This is why install this Operating system in our PC as a Primary OS or may be via Dual Boot with Windows. If you are also trying to learn some hacking & want to grow your career in hacking, then you must have also thought to install Kali Linux.
This article is written with the purpose to clear some of the doubts to the students / learner who are inclines over Kali Linux.
An Introduction to Kali Linux
Kali Linux is a Linux based Operating System created by a security firm i.e. Offensive Security. The OS was previously called as Backtrack & is rewritten in Debian (Earlier was in Knoppix).
The official statement says “Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking Linux Distribution”. They mean that this Linux distribution is made for penetration testing with the help of various security related tools to help security experts.
Hire An App Developer from here
If you think Kali Linux is a very unique & useful Distro, then you should know about Distro.
A Linux Distro is defined as a set of Linux kernel, a set of core utilities and applications and some default settings. So if you take any linux distro & install all the tools you need to use, then it would be as same as the Kali Linux is providing.
The only difference will be the pre-packed tools & setting that are made for a pentester not for a regular Desktop user.
Precisely, Kali Linux is not the only door to start with your hacking startup lessons.
How to Download & Install Kali Linux
If you are going to install Kali Linux, then you should first download the ISO from the official website of Kali Linux. The official Link is given as https://www.kali.org/downloads/.
If your PC is a 64 bit Intel CPU, then amd64 is the right download for you. After your download is complete, you can check the SHA-256 fingerprint & compare it with the downloaded file. How to verify checksum in Linux. After you checked the ISO with the checksum, you will be confident about the integrity of ISO for installation.
Kali Linux installation and first experience
Kali Linux is a Debian based OS , the installation process of this OS is little bit complex than others. However the process is properly explained on the official website of Kali.
There are so many options which are default after installation. After the installation is complete, the screen shows this.
- A user who is new to Linux won’t know that root is the only user after installation. Another thing is that pentesting tools require super user access.
- Kali Linux is not a choice for daily computing (Office Work, Internet Surfing, Video Editing etc). You can”t even share your PC with someone.
- More of the features of Kali Linux tools are hidden in command line rather than menu. You won’t get any specific office applications or tools (Except calculator or Quick Note). All the tools available are security oriented.
- Kali is Debian based, but there are no specific tools there. You can install as many of them by the commands. (apt-get update ,apt-get install).
- Working as root is not good in many cases. There are no restriction to the user, you can do many things which really don’t want to do. There will access to all type of files & you can manipulate any of them which can result into bad experiences.
If you are going to install this on directly, then you can read this article to make a proper installation of Kali Linux in your PC. How to install Kali Linux on your PC Step by Step
If you like this article please do share with your friends. That’s all for now.